What is required to receive approval for my residential construction project?

Residential Construction Plans being submitted for approval must include two (2) sets of plans.

The City of Port Arthur currently using the 2015 International Residential Code (as of October 16, 2012)

  • A survey of property and site plan is needed showing the setbacks for the front, side and rear of the property. Site plans must be done by a licensed professional. All new construction must install sidewalks for new homes and provide off-street parking for occupants.
  • Foundation plans are required for the structure(s).
  • Details of electrical and plumbing components for the structure(s) are required.
  • Elevation views of the structure are required.

In the flood zones, special design plans for the foundation must be designed by an Engineer. An elevation certificate is also required prior to issuance of a permit and after completion of work.

  • Framing plans showing spans and lumber sizes are required.
  • Windows must conform to the Windstorm requirements for this area and must meet impact resistant standards, or an acceptable shuttering system must be provided for each window.
  • Design wind load for this area is 120 mph (3 sec gust 130) for residential structures and 130 mph for commercial buildings. Design wind load for the coastal exposure is 140 mph.
  • A building permit is required for all remodeling/renovation jobs.

Show All Answers

1. What is required to receive approval for my residential construction project?
2. How much does it cost to get a Storm Water Prevention Application Permit?
3. What are the commercial project requirements?
4. What are the asbestos requirements for public/commercial buildings undergoing renovation/remodel?
5. Do I need to register with the Texas Department of Licensing and Registration (TDLR)?
6. How long is the plan review process?
7. What are the Energy Code requirements?
8. Is there a plan check fee?
9. Are contractors required to be bonded/insured?
10. Is a permit required for refacing existing signs?
11. Are plans required to install new signs?
12. Do I need a permit to build a fence?
13. How can I get a copy of a previously issued permit?
14. Do I need an asbestos survey for a commercial building?
15. I want to build a shed in my backyard. Is a permit required for that?
16. I want to add a room on to my house. Can I obtain a permit to do the work myself?
17. How many sets of plans are required for new construction?
18. What is required for a contractor to become licensed and or bonded in the City of Port Arthur?
19. What is the cost for permits?
20. How long is the permit good for?